Sunday 25 June 2017

#BookReview Ice Lake: by John A. Lenahan @KillerReads

Ice Lake: by John A. Lenahan
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

A BODY IN THE WOODS
Deep in the woods of North-Eastern Pennsylvania, the body of a man is found – shot three times, once in the back of the head, dumped under the trees where the local kids will find him.

A MAN ON THE CASE
When psychologist Harry Cull arrives in the picturesque town of Ice Lake to help with the murder investigation, he begins to unravel a web of lies and deceit that leads from the close-knit community to the dark heart of the Fracking industry.

A KILLER ON THE HUNT
It’s not long before the second corpse turns up, a lawyer left for dead in the forest, and Harry finds himself on the trail of a twisted killer – who will do anything to keep the town’s darkest secrets buried.


**********

The cover fooled me into believing it was a story set in the winter. But, I soon learned that I was wrong. I didn't mind it, but it's interesting how a cover can make you expect something like that.

Ice Lake starts off with a man getting shot to death by someone unknown. Pennsylvania State Trooper Edward Cirba calls his friend psychologist Harry Cull to come and help him with the case since ex-cop Cull has a knack for knowing if someone is lying. Cirba and Cull met at a conference in Las Vegas and that was a memorable experience that included a visit to a strip bar that Cirba has forbidden Cull to ever bring up again. Of course, Cull doesn't mind mentioning the strip bar now and then.

I found the book to be entertaining to read, but at the same time did I feel that I had some difficulties to really get into the story. I mean, I loved the banter between Cirba and Cull, their friendly relationship made the book quite fun to read. Also, a small town, with eccentric people with a lot of secrets are usually my kind of thing. However, the story never really clicked for me, but I can't say that I was bored either. I liked the book, but it lacked thrilling moments and a stronger story.

Ice Lake is an OK book, no more no less. I liked Cirba and Cull so much that I would love to read more about them in more books. I did, however, feel that Cull, who has been quite an ordeal in his life was surprisingly cool about it. I can't reveal what happened, but I would have expected a man to be a bit more broken than Cull seemed to be. And, it bothered me a bit. I guess I prefer my main characters to suffer more anxiety and be more complex.

I want to thank the publisher for providing me with a free copy through NetGalley for an honest review! 

No comments:

Post a Comment