Monday 19 June 2017

#BookReview Random Acts: Prequel to the Lightkeepers Series by Erica Spindler

Random Acts: Prequel to the Lightkeepers Series by Erica Spindler
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Before the Countdown Began....

One dead queen.
Three bizarre acts of violence.
No visible connection between the crimes.


Michaela Dee Dare, newly minted detective for the New Orleans PD, is called to a Garden District mansion--someone's decided to bludgeon a former Queen of Carnival to death with her own scepter.

Even as the investigative pieces begin to fall into place and they close in on a perpetrator, something's not adding up for Micki. It's too easy, the crime too random. But what's a rookie detective to do when her seasoned partner doesn't agree with her?

Betting on her instinct and gambling with her future in the NOPD, Micki strikes out on her own, pulling at strings that reveal an evil that chills her to her core--and may cost her everything she holds dear.

Set in New Orleans' most iconic neighborhoods, this exciting prequel to The Lightkeepers --a series lauded as 'enthralling' and 'not to be missed'--introduces tough, likable heroine Micki 'Mad Dog' Dare, and foreshadows the thrill-packed journey to come.


**********

To be honest, if I hadn't read an Erica Spindler book a while ago and loved it wouldn't I have looked twice at this book. I mean the cover isn't that appealing and if you aren't a fan of Spindler or this series can't I see how this cover would catch your interest.

I have not read any books in the Lightkeepers Series, so the characters are totally new to me and it's a novella so it's not a particularly complicated story. It was easy to see where it would lead and it never surprised me. However, it was for the moment an enjoyable book and I bet that fans of the series will love this novella. Personally, it didn't do much for me, but I wouldn't mind trying out the first book in the series to see how it is.

Random Acts felt like a novella for fans of this series, new readers perhaps should go for the first book instead since the novella doesn't really do more than introducing Micki. I would have loved to know more about her, it felt more like one was given an appetizer, but I wanted the full course.

I want to thank the publisher for providing me with a free copy through Netgalley for an honest review!

No comments:

Post a Comment